Sunday, August 24, 2008

Using Adverbs Abundantly -- "Tom Swifties"

Today, we are going to introduce ourselves to one another. Why didn't we do this the first day of class? Because... there were still people switching and dropping courses, and finally finding out that we're not business English ;-)

After hearing about everybody for approximately 10 minutes altogether, we'll work in groups, so you'll get to know your neighbors.

First task (everyone on his/her own):
Go to the following website and learn what "Tom Swifties" are.


Task 2:


Get together in groups of 3-4. Go to the following webpage (and other related ones you find yourself). Your group's task is to create a 12-item test for another group that this group has to solve. Get the emails of the other group's members, and email them your quiz. The group that solves most of the 12 items it gets from another group wins!! You need to retype Tom Swifties that you find on the webpage, but you leave out the last word, i.e., the pun, for the group to fill in the blank.

Examples:

1. How do you start a model-T Ford without a battery?" asked Tom _____________ .

(answer: CRANKILY)

2. "I have to wear this cast for another six weeks," said Tom _________________ .

(answer: DISJOINTEDLY)

3. "I'm shocked," said Tom _____________________ .

(answer: ELECTRICALLY)


You should select sentences that people are able to guess when they think hard.

EMAIL me your 12-item quiz (with solutions). Only one per group, please! Indicate your group members names in this email (because you'll all get points for the quiz).


Task 3:


Invent 1-3 Tom Swifties on your own!!! Publish them as a comment to this blog. If you work in groups, indicate all your names on your blog entry. If you can't finish in class, this will be homework for Wednesday.

19 comments:

Tiara Spencer said...

"I nailed it," she hammered.
"I put the letter in the envelope," said Tom assertedly.
"Please get in a circle," asked Tom roundly

Charah Gates said...

" Don't seat there", Charah said loudly.
"I will e-nail you tomorrow," Norman said excitedly.
"There is free food," Larissa said anxiously.

Ronesha Johnson said...

1."You broke my vase!!",Jack said brokenly.
2."I feel so free!!!,Jon said gayly.
3."We raced to the mailbox",Denise said quickly.

Colin Ott said...

"Do you like my bird," Tom squawked.

"This bag is heavy," Tom dragged.

"We might run out of food," said Tom sparingly.

Michaela Bazar said...

"I can't play the game anymore," Tom said defeated.

"I sat through the three hour movie," said Tom longingly.

"Tell me your favorite color," Tom said brightly.

David Tabler said...

"Suck out the poison!" Tom venomously spat.

"This blanket is so heavy." said Tom depressed.

Pamela Labelle said...

"I've dropped my toothpaste," he said crestfallenly.

"It is my maid's night out," he said helplessly.

"I was charged $50 for this speeding ticket," Tom said finally.

Creighton Jackson said...

"I have to hurry to make the deadline," said Tom with due haste.

"Can I see your glasses again, Grandpa" said Tom respectfully.

"I wanted another grape, but all we have are raisins," said Tom dryly.

Charlotte Jackanicz said...

"Do you like my baby chicks?" Sandy cheaped.

"I'm feeling a little hoarse," said the pony.

Jeffrey Ryden said...

"I only use the finest lotion," Tom said smoothly.

"I just don't like how boxers feel," Tom said briefly.

"It's the country above Croatia," Tom said hungrily.

Brittany Lingle said...

"I am so stiff," said Tom boredly.

"Jason 'Izzy' Isringhausen is now pitching," said La Russa relieved.

Julie Pioter said...

"That broken window hurt my hand," said Tom painfully.

"I'll play Monopoly again," said Tom gamely.

Brian Pullyblank said...

"How long is the flight," asked Tom plainly?

"Can you please turn down the music," Tom asked loudly?

"Where did that loud noice just come from," Tom whispered.

Renita Tanner said...

"Don't stab me in the back!" Tom said sharply.

"I won the tennis game!" said Tom lovingly.

"I have a voice like Celine Dion," Tom sang.

Abby Hoover said...

"I'll pay you for three month's rent," Tom advanced.

"Your dog bit me!", Tom barked.

"This is how you shoot the basketball," Tom coached.

Katrina Kosma said...

"He looks dead to me", said Tom stiffly.

"I burnt the cookies" said Tom crisply.

"I have a superb sense of smell", said Ella faintly.

Randi Mcfadden said...

"I can't find it anywhere," Tom said loosely.

Jamie Wolf said...

"I'm a vegetarian," Tom clucked.
"That smell makes me want to gag," spewed Tom.
"You really shouldn't drink so much; it's bad for your organs," Tom delivered.

Stephanie Jacques said...

-"I like the sunshine," said Jane brightly.

-"I told you I was afraid of dogs," John barked.

-"Why do you like frogs?" Frank croaked.